Saturday 7 September 2013

Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes

On the 2nd of September I finally graduated from University College Dublin with a Bachelors Degree in Human Nutrition - *Insert Happy Dance*. 

With this in mind, I was asked to make the class a graduation cake. My first choice was 'my' sweet and salty chocolate cake. You can follow the recipe here. If you read that post, you will know that I froze half of the icing for future use. Big fail, it split and turned to goo. So I replaced that icing with the chocolate ganache below and it worked! 

Anyway, on to this post... gluten free cupcakes! Unfortunately the entire cake is not gluten free but I did recreate the cake into a cupcake for a couple of the girls in my class. They worked out way better than I expected and I'm excited to try out more gluten free recipes!

For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole bun tin with paper cases.

Graduation Cake 
Waiting for Salted Caramel..
 Chocolate Cupcakes

Cupcake Ingredients

50g butter
115g soft light brown sugar
2 eggs
115g gluten free flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
25g cocoa powder
125ml soured cream 

  • add the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, bicarb and cocoa powder to a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
  • fold in the soured cream and spoon the mixture into the cases. 
  • bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
  • leave them to completely on a wire rack before icing them. 

Chocolate Icing

225g butter 
285g plain chocolate
2 tbsp golden syrup
240ml double cream 

  • melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a glass bowl over a pot of shimmering water.
  • once melted, add the cream and mix to combine. 
  • remove from the heat and allow to cool. it takes about 20-30 minutes for the icing to set and thicken.

Decorate

  • to decorate the cake - follow the steps as per the sweet and salty chocolate cake!
  • for the cupcakes - remove a small middle from each cupcake (I use an apple corer) and spoon in some salted caramel.
  • finally, top with the chocolate icing and enjoy :) 

♥ ♥
Wendy
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment