Sunday, 20 October 2013

Gluten Free – Dairy Free- Lemon and Lime Cake

Originally, I wanted to make a yoghurt icing for this cake but everywhere I read online was not impressed with 'dairy-free' margarine/butter. So, I decided to just use icing sugar and soya yoghurt knowing full well that it is full of water and probably wouldn't work!

Long story short - it didn't work, I strained the yoghurt - it ALL went through.. I used the 'thicker' stuff.. it did NOTHING when I added the icing.. except go a horrible grey colour.. I will figure it out. But for this, I stuck with simple, yet effective, lemon icing. :)

Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two 8 inch baking tins with baking powder. 





Ingredients

250g dairy-free margarine
250g caster sugar
4 eggs
250g plain gluten free flour
½ tsp. gluten-free baking powder
2 tbsp. full fat soya milk
2 tbsp. lemon & lime juice
Zest of a lemon & lime

•        Add the margarine, sugar and zest to a bowl – beat it with a paddle mixer until the mix is well combined.
•        Add the eggs one by one, it may look a little curdled but don’t panic it will look better once the flour is added.
•        Sift in the flour and baking powder – mix on low to combine.
•        Then add the milk and juices.
•        Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.

Sugar Syrup

50g caster sugar
50ml water
1 tsp. lemon & lime juice

•        Boil the sugar and water on a low heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
•        Remove from the heat and stir in the juices.
•        While the cakes are still warm, skewer some holes into the cake and pour the sugar syrup over them.

Icing

250g icing sugar
Lemon juice

•        Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lemon juice tsp. by tsp. until the mixture is a ‘droppable’ consistency.
•        Pour the icing into the centre of the cake and let it pour over the edges. 
•        If you made the cake in two tins, add some icing to sandwich the sponges together. 

♥ ♥
Wendy
XO


No comments:

Post a Comment